Monday, June 15, 2009

GUT CHECK TIME: The first weekend

Well, I'm not gonna sugar-coat it....(HAHAHAHAHAHA, I slay me. But seriously, forks....) I did NOT have a good weekend, despite some signs of improvement. Let me explain.

Friday night was the perfect opportunity to go completely healthy. Laura wanted Swiss Chalet for dinner, and I thought, "Perfect! I can order all healthy stuff off the menu!" Well, I didn't pig out, but I didn't go full tofu either. Kinda met halfway. We ordered the same thing we always do. Family Chicken & Ribs Feast. A whole BBQed chicken, half rack o' ribs, and 4 sides. (And 4 dinner rolls). So, all roles were ordered whole-grain. The sides were mashed potatoes, rice, greek salad for her, garden salad for me! That's right, no caesar salad, no fries, I manned up and got the light Italian dressing and everything.

Food came, ate 1/4 of the chicken, SKIPPED the ribs entirely (made for a solid lunch the next day) and was filled, not stuffed by the end of it. No snacks that night, and I thought, "Ok, not a bad start to the weekend."

Saturday was bad. BAD. Breakfast was normal, pancakes and eggs, not great, but hardly an alarm. Lunch was leftover chicken, and a couple ribs (4-5 to be exact, nothing major). Then we went to Connor McPolin's 2nd birthday party. It was like an alcoholic walking into Cheers. Or Buckner walking back into Shea (to quote a movie). Anyways, the gracious host was piling on the BBQed beef, and there was a LOT of food up for grabs. Now these people are nice people, and as such I hate to offend. Am I gonna be the arsehole who says, "Oh, no thanks, Ken, I'm perfectly stuffed after ONE cheeseburger (with bacon)." No, I'm not gonna be that guy. Hell, they likely budgeted for my attendance at this BBQ, so I CAN'T very well say "I'm on a wee diet", no, I can't be a jerk. So I have 2 cheeseburger, one of those awesome garlic sausages, and a couple Bud Light's to wash'em down. I KNOW! Shut up.

Sunday was much better. Having crashed horribly on Saturday, and accepting the fact that weekends are virtually hopeless for healthy eating, I go into Sunday with a relaxed attitude, and make out pretty well, all things considered. Mirrored breakfast from Saturday, pancakes and eggs. (It's easy, Nathan partakes, it's all very cute). Peanut Butter Bagel for lunch, then it's off to the ball diamond for a double header. (I didn't pitch in either game, so it's tough to gauge exactly how my dieting affected my pitching, but I went o-4 at the plate, so there's that).

Home at 7:30, collect a BBQ chicken from the grocery store (Laura's idea, I lobbied for healthy Subway subs, a la Jared, she won) and had some more chicken. All good, some macaroni salad and carrot sticks and it was an ok Sunday. Great compared to Saturday, not too good compared to my goal.

Monday! Back on the horse! One bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, chased by a bowl of bran flakes! Kept the Honey Bunches of Oats in the cupboard. Lunch? Lean Cuisine Panini, cheese string. Snacks later? Apple. Orange. Peach-mango apple sauce thingy....unsweetened! Dinner was Laura's AWESOME Fajita Casserole, very healthy, very good. Broccoli too. Snack tonight, just a bowlful of the aforementioned Honey Bunches. That is all. I should be tryng to get more veggies into the diet, may brave some of that V8 Fusion stuff I keep hearing about. Laura loves it, Chipper over at A Little Bit of Everything Sports says it's good stuff too. We'll see.

So, my resolve is to go Monday to Friday as a health nut, allow Saturday to be whatever it is, and then try to regain my dignity on Sunday. The blogger over at Double Nut Flush Draw has challenged me to a duel to lose weight. Payoff has not been discussed, but starting now, the player to lose the most weight by July 15th wins. One month. Weigh in to come tomorrow morning. Stay tuned!

M@

PS. For all you Rogues fans, we lost both games of the double header 4-0, and 5-4. I'm on the mound Tuesday night against the best hitting team in the league, the Good Ol' Boys. With some solid improvement on my mechanics since the last time I faced them, I'm looking forward to a better result! 7:00pm at the Blackburn Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment