Friday, June 5, 2009

GAME SUMMARY: Stunted again by the Barbers

Guzzlers 9
Rogues 1

Yeah, another dud vs the Orange and Black team. The Rogues were again only able to muster one run against the Guzzlers and most noticeably, the Barbers.

Personally I had an OK game, as I managed a hit against formidable pitcher Andy Barber, ended up being a line drive into his ankle that ricocheted over to in between short and 3rd. I scored the only run on a bloop single by PB who very deservedly picked up the only RBI of the game for the green side.

I came into the game in the middle of the 6th inning, as the Rogues were having a rough go of it, and a pitching change was needed. With runners on the corners and one out, I surrendered an infield hit to load the bases, then a walk to bring in a run, but I got the next batter to ground into a double play to get out of the jam.

My 7th inning was better, as I struck out 4 batters.

All-in-all, it wasn't the greatest game, as our defense wasn't perfect and our hitting was....yes, I said I struck out FOUR batters. That wasn't a typo. I told my wife when I got home, and I told my mother the next day, and both responded, "That's great". Neither of them questioning how it came to be that I was able to record 4 ks in one inning. The shocking part is my mom's actually a solid baseball fan, and while I doubt she'd know the dropped third-strike-steal-first rule, she DEFINITELY knows there's only 3 outs in an inning, lol. So I politely asked them if they thought it was weird that I whiffed 4 batters in one inning when there's only 3 outs, and they both admitted, "Oh yeah!" Then I explained the rule....it was a lot more conversation than I was originally anticipating, but it afforded me the opportunity to brag a little bit more about something I haven't been previously able to do in 15 years of pitching. And will almost certainly never be able to do again.

So Sunday night at 7, we face the Orleans Warriors (1-5-0) who are coming off their first win in their inaugural season, defeating the Exit A's in the early game Thursday evening. Both teams will be looking hard for a win.

M@

No comments:

Post a Comment