Friday, June 12, 2009

GUT CHECK TIME: Day #1

"Day damn one, Vivian, Day damn one." - Uncle Phil

"Let the great experiment begin!!!" - Tobias Fünke

Well, I survived the night. And at 8:00 am this morning I weighed in at 225.5 pounds.

Given the choice between spaghetti and haddock, I chose spaghetti. Basically we're trying to pick foods that Nathan can eat along with us, and since the fish is coated in batter it's likely not that healthy for either of us. However, upon picking spaghetti, a look to the cupboard presented a dilemma. Do I eat delicious spaghetti, or blah 100% whole grain spaghetti. Well, obviously I had to go 100% whole grain. But I wasn't optimistic. It's kind of like when Meg White does vocals for the White Stripes. It's still technically the White Stripes....but, you know.

Well, it wasn't all that bad. I often underestimate my own cooking ability. The spaghetti sauce was homemade, since we don't wanna give the little one the store-bought stuff. (We buy the sodium-free tomato sauce and dress it up ourselves.) Extra lean ground beef, onions, the sauce, and a teaspoon each of chili powder, garlic powder and italian seasoning, and we were off to the races. A tiny pinch of salt for myself and a side of peas, and I had myself one healthy meal.

For a snack later that night I had....nothing! Unusual for me, but them were some big pizza slices at lunch.

This morning a bowl of bran flakes chased by a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats (kinda sugary, I know) and that's where we currently stand. Lunch is leftover spaghetti, some peach slices and a cheese string. Supper? And the weekend beyond? You'll have to tune in Monday morning to find out. I'm optimistic I can keep up the health kick, but the weekend DOES pose many challenges. We'll see how I do.

Last week, when I started this thing, my plan was to kick it healthy Mon-Fri then I'd be at-ease on the weekend to eat as I wanted. But with my relapse this week, I'm gonna see how I can hold up against the constant threat of burgers and beer this weekend.

M@

No comments:

Post a Comment