Monday, February 16, 2009

Family Day

Living Room: Nathan resistant. Note extra carpeting wrapped around fireplace, and hand towels taped around end table legs)

1,000,000 toys, nowhere near as exciting as toilet paper.

(He used to sit still for Baby Einstein. Now he wants to get inside the TV to play)

Normally, my Blog entries are concerning things I'm considered the GM for. Fastball, hockey, dodgeball, etc, etc. However, I'd have a hard time convincing anyone that I'm in charge of anything at home, lol....

Since it's Family Day, I'm off work, Laura's doing a workout video and the little thing is sleeping for once, I thought I'd throw a family-related blog out there.

To give all you new parents an idea of what a normal day's like, here's an example of how Family Day is going so far:

Last night my folks came over to watch Nathan while Laura and I went out to Valentine's Dinner, 1 day after Valentine's. After good eatin' at Johnny Farina's, we head back home, and my folks left. Nathan hardly made a peep while we were gone, we learn, and they never even had to go in and check on him. A perfect little angel.

Twenty minutes later, he's crying, and Laura heads in, rubs his back and soothes him back to sleep. Another 15 minutes pass (I'm 1/3 of the way through the new Simpsons on the late feed) and so I give it a shot, soothing him back to sleep. 10 More minutes of peace before he's up again, this time Laura gives him a feed to settle him down. For a bit....

2 a.m. Crying begins.

4 a.m. Crying ends.

Teething. Tooth #7 on it's way we suspect. Laura and I, between the hours of 2 and 4 am, take turns rocking him, calming him, settling him down, ignoring him (hoping he'll learn to settle himself - this lasted 2 minutes), giving him Children's Tylenol, anything to calm the teething-enduced moaning and crying.

At one point, I'm lying in bed trying to catch some Zs, while Laura's desperately trying to calm him down, and not only am I wide awake and listening to my poor kid's cries of agony, but stuck in my head is: "....Winnie the Pooh! Winnie The Pooh! Tubby little cubby all blah blah blah....AARGH!!! Get this f*#%ing song out of my head!!!!"

We'll be getting rid of that CD today....

But, and this is the lesson in all of this for all you new moms and dads out there: All is forgiven when he wakes up at 6:30 a.m., he sees us for the first time as he's standing at the edge of his crib (where all the teeth marks are) and goes, "Dadadadadadadadada".


No comments:

Post a Comment