Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Getting My Ducks In A Row


So, the Keeper Pool has ended for another season, and I, for the first time, did not finish in last place. I snagged 11th out of 12, which MAY end up being a blessing in disguise. You see, our keeper pool employs a draft lottery system, which has repeatedly screwed me every year. I've picked 2nd overall, 4th overall and 4th overall in my 3 drafts, never having the top spot. Hopefully, having finished in 11th will undo the string of bad luck. We'll wait and see.


In the meantime, my work did a playoff draft, and so now I must shift my focus away from the keeper and all the Blackhawks I have, and now concentrate on my new team. And somehow, for whatever reason, I ended up Duck hunting. I didn't mean too, it just kinda happened. There's 7 people in the pool, I had 5th overall pick, snake order. 12 Rounds. Took Ovechkin 5th overall, and Hossa on the way back int he 2nd round. Getzlaf was available in the 3rd round, so I grabbed him, and took Elias in the 4th.


Now at this point I wanted to keep it to 4 teams, but all the rest of the Caps, Wings, and Devils were mostly gone. (Devils still had Langenbrunner, Zajac and Gionta, but I figured no one would take them in round 5....I was right). So I took a gamble, and figured if the Ducks can somehow beat the Sharks in round #1, I may be in the clear for winning this thing. So I took Corey Perry. Then Bobby Ryan.


I then took Chris Kunitz, not because he used to be a Duck, but because he was a less obvious Penguin who could garner me a shitload of points if things go well in Pittsburgh, which I think may happen. I took Holmstrom in the 8th round, to the tune of a couple of collective sighs from some people who either forgot about him, or were hoping to take him soon afterwards.


Then I took my Devils. Langenbrunner and Gionta. Had to flip a coin between Gionta and Mike Cammalleri in Calgary, as he was still available, and could be a huge point getter if the Flames get past Chicago, a realistic goal, IMO. Well, I didn't need to flip a coin because Camallerri was mine in the 11th round, and I took Scotty Niedermayer in the last round to round out the Duck contingent. No one took Selanne.


So, my hope truthfully lies in Anaheim as exactly 1/4 of my team plays for the Ducks. With a co-worker taking mostly Sharks, it's him or me lying in a pool of blood after round #1, but that's the way it goes in these things. More to come after some games have been played....

3 comments:

  1. Not bad, but I like that Tom guy's pick a lot better. A bunch of Pens, including Crosby and Gonchar? And Green on defence? He's laughing all the way to the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, he had some solid picks too, but I thought a guy names Blair made all those picks for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penguins and Wings final, a repeat of last year. Those stacked with players from those two teams will win!

    ReplyDelete