Thursday, March 5, 2009

Who would you keep in a Keeper?


So I haven't written about my Keeper Pool in a while, mainly because there hasn't been much to report. I've climbed the standings to 11th of 12 teams, as the last place guy sold the farm for draft picks. Still, it's nice not to be in the cellar, though owning my own draft pick is a kick in the pants, as 12th would obviously be better. But what can you do.

I digress.

I made one move on trade deadline day, sending Kris Russell and a 4th round pick and in exchange got a 3rd round pick back. As both picks are previously belonging to the same person, I basically moved up exactly 12 spots in the draft with this move. I hate losing Russell for such a low price, but I had no room to keep him, so at least I got something.

Not having room for guys is the main reason for this post. I've already decided who's gonna stay and who's gonna go (depending on off-season offers, of course) But I'd like your opinion on who you think I should keep on the team, and who I should let go in the off-season. I am permitted to keep 17 players on the list below (position irrelevant) as long as 2 are rookies.

Forwards:
Kane, Toews, Kessel, Zherdev, O'Sullivan, Tuomo Ruutu, Turris, Mueller, Voracek, Cogliano, Svatos and Penner.

Defence:
Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Barker, Vlasic, Carle, Sekera, Campoli, Pietrangelo.

Goalies:
Price, Dipietro, Rask, Pavelec

Anyways, just for arguments sake, or if you're bored at work today, this let's you play GM a little bit, and see what team you would make. My current list has 9 forwards, 6 d-men and 2 goalies from the above mentioned.

M@

PS, one thing to keep in mind is that it's a Keeper Pool, meaning I'm looking at trying to win the pool 2-3 years down the road, not right now, as my best players are still developing.

5 comments:

  1. Lost confidence on Price and Dipietro, ship them out. If you can get a good young goalie like Mason. I have heard good things about this LeClair guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kane, Toews, Kessel, Zherdev, O'Sullivan, Turris, Voracek

    JJ, EJ, Barker, Vlasic, Campoli, Pietrangelo

    Price, Dipietro, Rask, Pavelec

    Make goaltending and Defense your strength, as their is usually much more offense available in the draft. There's no reason to give up on any of your goalies. Young goalies often start their careers being inconsistent, but all 4 you have are potential franchise goalies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik Johnson would still count as a rookie, right?

    And you'll probably be picking up a rookie at your draft.


    But the one guy I would get rid of is Tuomo Ruutu. He's one bodycheck away from being injured for the next two years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erik Johnson played a full season last year, so he would not count as a rookie. Pietrangelo, Turris, Rask, Pavelec (I think) and Voracek are all rookies for me. And the draft doesn't count, the draft happens after I protect 15 plus 2 rookies, so it doesn't make a difference.

    Paul, interesting assessment with the 4 goalie approach....never really looked at it that way, but does make me think. Would be reluctant to give up on Mueller and Cogliano.

    Hey, look at that....Ruutu with a 5 point night....

    M@

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, Tom, you could be right about Erik Johnson technically still being considered a rookie....having only played 1 season....not that it matters, I suppose, but good point nonetheless.

    M@

    ReplyDelete