Monday, July 13, 2009

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Ah, the first of possibly many things that somewhat kinda annoy me.

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Bands that start their shows BEFORE their advertised start time!!!


I love The Watchmen. They are one of my all time favourite bands, I own all their records and have seen them numerous times. This past weekend was to be my 5th. Turns out it was my 4.5th time seeing them.

"Explain how!"

Ok, well, Hope Beach Volleyball was this weekend, and since I'm not a player, I normally wouldn't go. However, the Watchmen were the main attraction, set to go on stage at Mooney's Bay at 5:30. LIES!
I live about a 3 minues drive from Mooney's Bay, so I left home at 5:05, parked the car at Mooney's Bay parking lot and paid the meter at 5:11. I could hear, a few hundred feet away, the Watchmen rocking out to their classic song "Mister", mixed with what appeared to be new material!! COME ON!!! It's not even 5:30!! I grabbed my folding chair out the trunk and paced down the hill to the beach, trapsed around a bunch of stupid fences to find my way in, and paid $20 to get a wrist band. Walked in, grabbed a beer, made my way to the stage. Got a decent view from where I found a spot, avoided the mud pit, and enjoyed....their last 6 songs.
All things considered, they were 6 fantastic songs. "Absolutely Anytime", a fantastic acapella version of "Creeps Like Me" by Lyle Lovitt, "All Uncovered" ("Chicks and sensitive guys like this song", according to front man Daniel Greaves) "Stereo", then a quick break and "Holiday" and "I'm Still Gone" for the 2 song encore.

I was home by 6:10.

2 comments:

  1. Weren't they starting early because of the thunderstorms screwing everything up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All volleyball games were cancelled by noon, yes. So I suspect all bands got moved up a bit. Wish someone would have told ME! That really grinds my gears.

    ReplyDelete